Individuals and Families

Advice and Support for Non-UK Nationals

Do you have a status of  ‘No Recourse to Public Funds’?

Help if you have a status of
'No Recourse to Public Funds'

If you are not a British citizen your visa may state that you have ‘no recourse to public funds’ and you may have been told that no-one can help you.

Public funds do include most benefits, applying for social housing or making a homeless application. However, if you’re struggling because you’re not allowed to claim public funds, there might be other support you can get. You might also be able to apply to have the no public funds condition removed.

Look in the sections below to find contact details for a wide range of service providers who may be able to support you and your family.

Here you will find general advice and resources to help

Click here for more information

If you have been the victim of domestic abuse, there are support services available which will help with the added difficulty of not being able to access public funds.

Click here for more information

If you have children, there is help you can get because they are entitled to support by law in Scotland.

Click here for more information

Your physical and mental health can be at risk from the worry and pressures of having no access to public funds. Find resources here to keep you well.

Click here for more information

Although you may not be able to apply for local authority help with housing, here are some organisations which may be able to help.

Click here for more information

Rules and laws about ‘no recourse to public funds’ can be complicated and there are many exceptions. We would advise you to get legal help as soon as possible.

Click here for more information

Welfare pages for students in Aberdeen:

University of Aberdeen, including the Hardship Fund

Robert Gordon University including the Emergency Loan Fund 

The Scottish Government Students Awards Agency Scotland International Students’ Emergency Fund (running until the end of July 2023) may also be useful

To find out more about our sub-group of organisations working with international students and NRPF please click here.

Finding enough money to cope when you have no access to public funds can be a struggle. We list useful resources here.

Click here for more information